Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Can a Garden really save you money?

Can a garden really save you money? The answer is YES. Especially if you start your plants from seeds. I buy my seeds-Heirloom Veggies at Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds.  I love quality of the seeds and how well they grow.

Photo Credit 

Lets just take a minute and consider the costs involved. For this example we are going to use Broccoli. For my package of Broccoli seeds it cost me $2.25 for 300 seeds. That is less than a penny a seed, if every seed grew into a plant that is a savings of anywhere from $1.99 to $3.00 per plant depending on where you would normally purchase your plant.

Photo Credit
If I bought a pound of Broccoli on sale of course I am still looking at $0.99 a pound. Every seed that grows into a plant has the potential to produce at least a pound of Broccoli heads. So you have a plant that cost you less than a penny, that would produce you at least a pound of Broccoli.

Even when you figure into the cost that you will need soil, perhaps a container if you don't already have some. It still works out that starting your plants from seed to be much cheaper.


Photo Credit
You can get soil as cheap as $1 when it is on sale or even at the local dollar store.  You containers can be anything that will hold some dirt.  You can use traditional seed cell starter kits, egg cartons, or plastic bins. You are only limited by your imagination when it comes to containers. I have used cell starter kits, plastic cups, bins, egg cartons, you could even use the shell of an egg that you cracked. Again you are limited only by your imagination.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Visiting from Wildcrafting Wednesday. I enjoyed your post and I love Baker Creek.

cindy said...

I'd love to know more about starting seeds - we'd love to have a nice garden one day, but neither my husband or I really know much at all about gardening. When we've attempted to start seeds, we've had very little luck :-(

Kristy Elliott said...

Glad you guys enjoyed the post.

Cindy-I have several other posts about starting seeds if you look back to about January. I will admit this year has been the best year so far for us regarding seeds started.